When you purchase a mobile service from Ethan, you can choose to keep your current mobile number or get a new one. If you want to keep your current mobile number, we can transfer it over to the Ethan network in a few easy steps.
What information do I need to transfer my mobile service to Ethan?
To transfer your number to Ethan, we will ask you to provide details about your account with your existing provider, including:
- The mobile number you want to transfer
- The type of service you are transferring from (either Pre-Paid or Post-Paid)
- For Post-Paid services, we will need your account number with your current telecommunications provider (you can find this on a recent bill)
- Your date of birth (if you are transferring from a Pre-Paid service, it is important that the date of birth you provide us exactly matches that held by your current provider)
- Your name and address
- An alternative contact method where you can be reached during the transfer
- 100 points of ID (Refer AFP website)
The number that you want to transfer to Ethan needs to be active with your current telecommunication provider at the time of transfer. You will be able to use your existing service during the transfer process, and once it is complete, your old service will be automatically disconnected.
Is the process of transferring my number secure?
Yes. In line with new telecommunications regulations, we’ve added a Pre-Port Verification process to our fraud prevention measures to help stop anyone from trying to transfer your number without your permission.
What is this pre-port verification process?
Porting a phone number means transferring that number from one provider to another. We are legally required to confirm that all customers transferring their number to Ethan from another provider are entitled to transfer that number. This authentication process, known as pre-port verification, has been implemented industry-wide to protect you and limit fraud by preventing people from illegally transferring other people’s phone numbers.
How does it work?
A six-digit code will be sent via SMS to the mobile number being transferred. As part of the pre-port verification process you’ll need to confirm this code with Ethan before your number can be transferred to Ethan.
I think that my number has been fraudulently transferred, what can I do?
If you think your mobile number has been fraudulently transferred, please contact your previous service provider and speak with them about reversing the transfer. You should also report this event immediately to the Australian Federal Police or the relevant State or Territory Police and consider notifying Scamwatch or IDCARE.